Sunday, January 22, 2012

Schoolism: Character Design lesson 2

Here is my work for lesson 2 of Character Design with Stephen Silver. For this assignment, we worked with silhouettes. The point of this was to make our character outlines are readable as possible.

Unfortunately, I did pretty badly on this exercise. ^^; I was a bit confused by what exactly we were supposed to submit. That and I got the due date off, so I was a day late in submitting. Bummer, but Mr. Silver still provided great input. Here is the first round I tried. The exercise was to create character outlines based on the classic, Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde.



I tried the first round with marker to see how it felt. I made a few good ones, but overall I hated the lack of control. I've definitely lost some of my hand skills. The next batch, for the Hyde character, I went to trusty old Photoshop.



I was overall pretty unhappy with my first trial of these guys, so I also did a second set. I sent them to Mr. Silver, but not for a critique, just for grins. I came up with some nice ones here for the Jekyl character, who I've named "Franklin Freckyl".





I got a 3 out of 5 star on this assignment, and it was very eye opening. Clarity. Must have it!

2 comments:

  1. Really nice silhouettes. I love the bottom Mr. Hyde. He's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice silhouettes on your 2nd pass. It's always fun to see the progress you made just by doing 2nd passes on something. :)

    ReplyDelete